If you haven’t already guessed, I have issues….. One of my (many) issues is an intolerance to dairy products. For years I continued to eat dairy regularly and live with the consequences of my decision, but in 2015 I decided it wasn’t worth the constant belly aches. Rather than give up the foods I loved, I took it as a challenge to find new dishes that I love just as much if not MORE than their dairy alternatives. As an added bonus these new recipes are more nutrient dense than the foods I used to indulge in AND I experience no ill digestive side effects. Whether you also avoid dairy, you are interested in a more nutrient dense version of an old favorite, or you just want to try something new, today I’m sharing my favorite caramel recipe. My family’s favorite way to eat the caramel is as a dip with sliced green apples and bananas. But I’ve also been known to add it to my caramel latte frappé!
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup creamy unsalted raw almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch fine grain sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Whisk together over medium low heat until all ingredients are melted together (approximately 3 minutes). It is important NOT to boil the ingredients. The goal is to warm the ingredients until they are incorporated into a smooth unified texture. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- As the caramel cools, it will thicken. To thin the caramel you can reheat it in a sauce pan or simply enjoy as is!
Recipe from Blissful Basil.